By Vivek K. Mobile: 09920183006 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), the apex body of the gems & jewellery industry, has unveiled the Parichay Card in West Bengal. The Parichay Card will be officially launched at a national level by the Union Minister of Commerce & Industry towards the end of January 2019.
GJEPC is already in final stages of talks with the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MoSDE) for national classification of gem & jewellery sector workers/ craftsmen under LMIS (Labour Management Information Systems). This segment-wise classification of workers, craftsmen and artisans will provide additional benefits under relevant MoSDE schemes.
The national launch of Parichay Card will benefit the entire gem & jewellery industry and in order to ensure proper authentication for social security purposes. The objective of this project is to create a verified and well-crafted database for gem & jewellery workers to provide them better job opportunities, help to find financial support from banks & financial institutions and provide better healthcare services through specially designed smart card.
This card not only gives the workers a valid proof of their employment or identity but also make them eligible for various initiatives. Along with the card, GJEPC will also provide an optional health insurance cover ‘Swasthya Kosh’ for all the Parichay card holders.
Way back in 2015, GJEPC had initiated a Group Mediclaim Scheme to provide health insurance benefit to the entire work force of the Gems and Jewellery Industry & their family members, the scheme named ‘Swasthya Ratna’. Under the scheme all GJEPC member companies can enroll employees and their families. The primary objective of launching this scheme all over India, was to improve access of identified workers and their families to quality medical care.
Mr. Pramod Kumar Agrawal, Chairman, The Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), said, “The $40 bn gem and jewellery industry, is heavily dependent on the karigars, artisans and the craftsmen of India. Today India has become global pioneer in the business of diamond processing, only because of these extremely talented and skilled workforce. As a token of appreciation and with the intention to give back to these precious jewels of the industry, the council has come forward for the betterment of these workforce.”
Mr. Agrawal also added, “The Swasthya Ratna Scheme received a phenomenal response and several GJEPC member companies have taken this policy for their workers and office staff. Currently it is in its third year of operations and till date it has covered more than 4 lakh lives. It motivated us to do more for the industry and hence we launched the Parichay Card.”
Mr Prakash Chandra Pincha, Regional Chairman, GJEPC, also acknowledged the phenomenal amount of contribution the workforce delivers year after year to the gems and jewellery industry. “We feel proud of the talented workforce of over 5 million craftsmans, artisans and karigars are an integral part of the overall eco-system of gems and jewellery exports. As a token of appreciation and to support and nurture the talent, this is a small initiative from GJEPC,” he said.
The Council plans to integrate the benefits of the Swasthya Ratna policy to the Parichay Card holders. All Parichay Card holders will be given a choice to opt for a health insurance policy, assured of INR. 1,00,000 for themselves and their family (Spouse and 2 Children) by paying just 25% cost for the premium. The remaining 75% of the premium will be paid through a specially created, fund called Swasthya Kosh. GJEPC has tied up with GJNRF (The Gem and Jewellery National Relief Foundation), whereby anyone can donate into the fund and the proceeds go towards paying the premiums of the policy. The scheme will also offer an 80G tax benefit to the all the institutions who donate for this cause. GJEPC has roped in Edelweiss Insurance Brokers who already manages the Swasthya Ratna Scheme along with the Swasthya Kosh insurance brokers.
A comprehensive health insurance policy. The premium for the policy is capped at Rs. 1400 for self-cover and R. 2200 for family-cover. With 75% of the premium being paid by GJEPC’s Swasthya Kosh, the discounted premiums are just Rs. 350 for self and Rs. 550 for family-cover.